A dental hygienist (also called oral hygienist) is a licensed dental professional who specializes in preventive oral health, typically focusing on techniques in oral hygiene.
Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping the mouth and teeth clean to prevent dental problems, especially the common dental caries and gingivitis, and bad breath. There are oral pathologic conditions in which good oral hygiene is required for healing and regeneration of the oral tissues. These conditions include: gingivitis, periodontitis, dental trauma, oral cysts and after wisdom tooth extraction.
Dr. Drew Markham has a strong belief that overall dental hygiene process of care includes the following steps:
• Assessing the patient: This includes, but is not limited to, a full review of the patient's medical history, necessary x-rays to be taken, a clinical exam, and a periodontal assessment by probing and exploring areas of the patient’s mouth. During this stage we will prepare a thorough report of your current oral health.
• Dental hygiene diagnosis: Assessing of data pertaining to a client's condition/state in terms that will help identify problems so as to lead to a professional treatment plan/therapies. The final diagnosis of disease and/or treatments solely lies with the approval granted by Dr. Drew Markham.
• Planning: creating a sequential treatment plan for the patient. The treatment plan will vary based upon on the immediate recommendation(s).
• Implementation: Carrying out the plan in a timely and effective manner.
• Evaluation: Determining the effectiveness of the treatment plan that was administered.
Over a period of months or years, we will evaluate the client's condition as necessary to alter the diagnosis and forecast the client’s health changes.